Re: [HACKERS] regular expressions from hell

From: dg(at)illustra(dot)com (David Gould)
To: brett(at)work(dot)chicken(dot)org (Brett McCormick)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org, pgsql-questions(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] regular expressions from hell
Date: 1998-05-31 23:46:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I've noticed there are no less then 10^10 regex implementations.
> Is there a standard? Does ANSI have a regexp standard, or is there
> a regex standard in the ANSI SQL spec? What do we use?

Good question. I think one of the standard unix regex's should be ok. At least
everyone knows how to work it, and they are quite small.

> Personally, I'm a perl guy, so everytime I have to bend my brain to
> some other regex syntax, I get a headache. As part of my perl PL
> package, perl regexps will be included as a set of operators.
>
> Is there interest in the release of perl-style regexp operators for
> postgres before the PL is completed? Note that this requires the
> entire perl library to be loaded when the operator is used (possibly
> expensive). But, if you have a shared perl library, this only has to
> happen once.

Hmmm, I really like the perl regex's, especially the extended syntax, but
I don't want to load a whole perl lib to get this.

-dg

David Gould dg(at)illustra(dot)com 510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software (No, really) 300 Lakeside Drive Oakland, CA 94612
"Of course, someone who knows more about this will correct me if I'm wrong,
and someone who knows less will correct me if I'm right."
--David Palmer (palmer(at)tybalt(dot)caltech(dot)edu)