Re: [HACKERS] char types gone.

From: darrenk(at)insightdist(dot)com (Darren King)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] char types gone.
Date: 1998-03-23 21:17:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Okay...just checking. I've heard one major complaint about PostgreSQL in
> the past concerning the fact that we are just gutting it and "taking the
> Postgres out of PostgreSQL", which I feel is an unfair assessment...
>
> As your analogy puts it above, we've replaced key components of the old
> "wooden, three mast'r" with a more sleek and streamlined "carbon fiber
> mast"...but that new mast holds the same sails, just gets us to the finish
> line faster...
>
> If anyone feels that we've removed something that was really unique and
> not replacedit with something better/faster, or provided a work around,
> please let us know...in most cases, there is alot of discussion both here,
> and in a private list, over whether we go forward with a modification or
> not, especially something that is part of the *base* structure of the
> system.
>
> We have an *Open* development forum here...if you don't like the route
> something is (or appears to be) going, let us know...give us strong
> arguements for/against...but don't wait until the discussion is done and
> everyone is in agreement before popping up...:(

If for posterity alone, I'm willing to move the char[24816] code to contrib.
I already have the create and load statements in an sql file, just have to
polish the Makefile a little. If not with the distribution, then perhaps
this could be at the web site for downloading.

Having the code available for loading might be easier for persons such as
Tatsuo instead of having their users complain of something disappearing.

My only intention in doing this is to lighten up the postgres core, not to
force others to change their existing code.

darrenk