Re: [HACKERS] perl/perl5

From: dg(at)illustra(dot)com (David Gould)
To: brett(at)work(dot)chicken(dot)org (Brett McCormick)
Cc: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] perl/perl5
Date: 1998-03-23 07:21:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I would consider that to be a bug, not a feature. Once perl is
> installed locally from source, it becomes 'perl' and replaces common
> path locations of the old version with itself (/usr/bin/perl).
>
> On Mon, 23 March 1998, at 01:39:31, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > On BSDI, 'perl' is perl4 and 'perl5' is perl5. This causes
> > interfaces/Makefile to fail when running perl5/Makefile.PL.
> >
> > Does anyone else have such a problem? I don't want to fix it unless it
> > is a problem for others.

If you ask a perl4 question on the comp.lang.perl, well, just lets say you
won't be "helped" much. The offical perl position is the perl4 is an
obsolete nightmare that they are all trying to forget as rapidly as possible
and that perl5 is the bright shiny present and future. That is, perl4
is not supported anymore, please upgrade etc...

So, given that it is pretty darn easy to get perl5 these days, it has been
out for a few years with good results, is very compatible with perl4 anyhow,
and really is better for a number of reasons, I see no reason to continue
to support perl4.

Lets just do it. If for some obsolete platforms like SCO or suchlike this
means that they will have to download perl5 and pgsql, so be it. The DB
support is so much better it will be doing them a favor anyway...

-dg

David Gould dg(at)illustra(dot)com 510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software (No, really) 300 Lakeside Drive Oakland, CA 94612
- I realize now that irony has no place in business communications.