Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL - the Linux of Databases...

From: ocie(at)paracel(dot)com
To: lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu (Thomas G(dot) Lockhart)
Cc: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL - the Linux of Databases...
Date: 1998-03-03 04:06:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

> > I just finally got a copy of that article in Linux Journal (wow, they even
> > spelt my name right!)...I think the first paragraph, in itself, is most
> > comical:
> >
> > "...it is now developed similarly to Linux"
> >
> > Now, those that have been around here for *any* stretch of time know that
> > we aren't even *remotely* close to the way that Linux is being developed,
> > with those having suggested us doing that having it, I would imagine, dug
> > in quite deeply :)
> >
> > Still have to read the whole article, but so far (other then that one
> > "slight" in the first paragraph *bait material here*), it looks pretty
> > good :)
>
> It's OK Marc, us linux'ists weren't offended _too_ much by that quote :))
>
> fwiw, I think he was drawing an analogy with the whole web/net thing, ya
> know, as opposed to the floppy disk mailings you BSDers use *ducks head*

>From what I understand, postgres development is more like BSD
development than it it like linux development. With Linux kernels,
new versions may come out two in one day. With BSD, there are periods
of internal development followed by a big release. Postgres has the
daily snapshot, but these are intended for developers, and each new
one is not considered a new version of the program.

In that Postgres is developed over the net by a volunteer effort, I
would say they are similar.

Ocie Mitchell