Re: [HACKERS] Rule plan size for views?

From: darrenk(at)insightdist(dot)com (Darren King)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Rule plan size for views?
Date: 1998-03-01 00:53:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> darrenk

Just 'Darren' for short. :)

> So when I do it as a select statement the plan can grow larger than 8K
> because I can run the SQL command itself.

The plan is the internal plan generated by the parser/optimizer. A very
short sql statement could generate a very big plan. No real easy way to
tell without actually running it.

> Has the plan generation changed in the last week? I was able to create
> another view in an earlier beta but cannot now.

This I don't know. Any little change to the nodes or the parser/optimizer
could have bumped you over the limit.

> Is there a way to find out the size of the plan?

Could add some debugging statements in the rewrite code to show it. Snoop
around the src/backend/rewrite directory a little.

Darren