Re: [HACKERS] Rule plan size for views?

From: darrenk(at)insightdist(dot)com (Darren King)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Rule plan size for views?
Date: 1998-02-28 20:43:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> What is the rule size for views?
>
> This seems to have changed in this beta; I have a view that worked in a
> previous beta but fails to create.
> "ERROR: DefineQueryRewrite: rule plan string too big."
>
> I have about 33 column headings with a join of 5 tables.
>
> I have the latest cvsup tree as of a few minutes ago.
> Linux 2.0.30
> pgcc compiler

The rule plan is stored as a tuple, hence for this release that limit
is a little under 8k.

For 6.4, you will be able to use a bigger block size, therefore have
bigger tuples and this should then work again.

Sounds like the plan internally grew (possible w/subselect stuff?!?) and
has gone over that 8k limit.

I know it's little consolation, but as soon as I can get the variable
block size working (actually only breaks in the create_triggers regression
test when sorting to disk), I could post it as a patch for 6.3 as well as
put it into the 6.4 tree.

darrenk