Re: [HACKERS] Rule plan size for views?

From: "Michael J(dot) Rogan" <mrogan(at)fpelectronics(dot)com>
To: darrenk(at)insightdist(dot)com (Darren King), pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Rule plan size for views?
Date: 1998-02-28 16:52:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

darrenk

So when I do it as a select statement the plan can grow larger than 8K
because I can run the SQL command itself.

Has the plan generation changed in the last week? I was able to create
another view in an earlier beta but cannot now.

Is there a way to find out the size of the plan?

Michael

> > What is the rule size for views?
> >
> > This seems to have changed in this beta; I have a view that worked in a
> > previous beta but fails to create.
> > "ERROR: DefineQueryRewrite: rule plan string too big."
> >
> > I have about 33 column headings with a join of 5 tables.
> >
> > I have the latest cvsup tree as of a few minutes ago.
> > Linux 2.0.30
> > pgcc compiler
>
> The rule plan is stored as a tuple, hence for this release that limit
> is a little under 8k.
>
> For 6.4, you will be able to use a bigger block size, therefore have
> bigger tuples and this should then work again.
>
> Sounds like the plan internally grew (possible w/subselect stuff?!?) and
> has gone over that 8k limit.
>
> I know it's little consolation, but as soon as I can get the variable
> block size working (actually only breaks in the create_triggers regression
> test when sorting to disk), I could post it as a patch for 6.3 as well as
> put it into the 6.4 tree.
>
> darrenk

* Michael J. Rogan, Network Administrator, 905-624-3020 *
* Mark IV Industries, F-P Electronics & I.V.H.S. Divisions *
* mrogan(at)fpelectronics(dot)com mrogan(at)ivhs(dot)com *