Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Date: 2021-05-11 13:13:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

First Bruce, thank you for compiling the release notes draft. Comments
inline:

On 5/10/21 11:56 PM, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 7:30 PM Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> Can these be merged:
>> Allow logical replication to stream long transactions to standbys (Dilip Kumar, Tomas Vondra, Amit Kapila, Nikhil Sontakke)
>> Improve the logical replication API to allow streaming large in-progress transactions (Tomas Vondra, Dilip Kumar, Amit Kapila)
>>

> I think we should merge the below two:
> Add support for streaming to built-in logical replication (Vondra,
> Dilip Kumar, Amit Kapila, Ajin Cherian, Nikhil Sontakke, Stas Kelvich)
>
> Allow logical replication to stream long transactions to standbys
> (Dilip Kumar, Tomas Vondra, Amit Kapila, Nikhil Sontakke)
>
> and say something like:
> Allow logical replication to stream long in-progress transactions to standbys
> Previously transactions that exceeded logical_decoding_work_mem were
> written to disk until the transaction completed.

I was going to post a question about the above bullet point(s), so this
clarification helps -- thanks!

Two comments on the above:

1. I do believe ther eis a missing "Tomas" in the first release note.
2. Would you want to s/standbys/subscribers/ given an instance can be in
read/write mode but still receive logical changes? Or did this patch
affect only subscribers that are also standbys?

Thanks,

Jonathan