Re: slow plan for min/max

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Matt Clark" <matt(at)ymogen(dot)net>
Cc: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: slow plan for min/max
Date: 2003-09-08 23:42:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

"Matt Clark" <matt(at)ymogen(dot)net> writes:
> Actually, referring down to later parts of this thread, why can't this
> optimisation be performed internally for built-in types? I understand the
> issue with aggregates over user-defined types, but surely optimising max()
> for int4, text, etc is safe and easy?

I can't see that the datatype involved has anything to do with it.
None of the issues that come up in making the planner do this are
datatype-specific. You could possibly avoid adding some columns
to pg_aggregate if you instead hard-wired the equivalent knowledge
(for builtin types only) into some code somewhere, but a patch that
approached it that way would be rejected as unmaintainable.