Re: Reliability Stability of PgSQL & it's JDBC driver

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: "Nikhil G(dot) Daddikar" <ngd(at)iname(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reliability Stability of PgSQL & it's JDBC driver
Date: 2000-12-12 14:33:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Quoting "Nikhil G. Daddikar" <ngd(at)iname(dot)com>:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am a fan of pgsql and have been using it for lots personal projects
> where
> stability of PgSQL was not an issue and most of the time the machine
> was
> close to me, so that I could restart the daemons whenever there was a
> problem. However, now I am writing an ERP solution and am thinking of
> using
> EJB along with Postgresql. What I am concerned about is the reliability
> and
> stability of Postgresql and it's JDBC driver. Is anybody using
> Postgresql
> and JDBC in a "production" environment? Has anybody faced any wierd
> problems? For example, when I was using the tool TableGen (generates
> java
> code from database table), I found out that some of it was not working
> because PgSQL's JDBC driver didn't support getImportedKeys() and
> getExportedKeys().

I needed some example on how to retrieve this information. Also, getTables()
still has some problems, but this is partially due to what types to accept (not
everything seems to use the same names like "TABLES" etc).

The main one is large ResultSet's can slow things down, but careful planning of
any queries can help that.

> Now are there any such issues? I wouldn't like to
> hear
> sometime later that, for example, there is no support for BLOBs as
> well.

Large objects have been supported since version 6.2 some 2-3 years ago,
although the BLOB interface only appeared this April.

Do not confuse getInputStream() to indicate that large objects are not
supported. There's about 6 other ways to use them within JDBC.

> Any personal experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Peter

--
Peter Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Driver: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/