Re: Large C files

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jan Urbański <wulczer(at)wulczer(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Large C files
Date: 2011-09-24 16:46:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Actually, I believe that the *main* problem with pgrminclude is that
>> it fails to account for combinations of build options other than those
>> that Bruce uses. In the previous go-round, the reason we were still
>> squashing bugs months later is that it took that long for people to
>> notice and complain "hey, compiling with LOCK_DEBUG no longer works",
>> or various other odd build options that the buildfarm doesn't exercise.
>> I have 100% faith that we'll be squashing some bugs like that ... very
>> possibly, the exact same ones as five years ago ... over the next few
>> months. Peter's proposed tool would catch issues like the CppAsString2

> The new code removes #ifdef markers so all code is compiled, or the file
> is skipped if it can't be compiled. That should avoid this problem.

It avoids it at a very large cost, namely skipping all the files where
it's not possible to compile each arm of every #if on the machine being
used. I do not think that's a solution, just a band-aid; for instance,
won't it prevent include optimization in every file that contains even
one #ifdef WIN32? Or what about files in which there are #if blocks
that each define the same function, constant table, etc?

The right solution would involve testing each #if block under the
conditions in which it was *meant* to be compiled.