Re: Can't make backup (again)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: sebaioni-postgresql(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)ar
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can't make backup (again)
Date: 2008-01-17 16:16:41
Lists: pgsql-general

=?iso-8859-1?q?Sebasti=E1n=20Baioni?= <sebaioni-postgresql(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)ar> writes:
> I forgot to tell that the error was seen on the client but it was a response from the server:
> pg_dump: Mensaje de error del servidor: cannot allocate memory for input buffer
> pg_dump: El comando es: COPY public.sipat00 (sipasede, ...) TO stdout;
> pg_dump: *** se abort por un error

No, that error text only appears in libpq, so it's happening on the
client side --- pg_dump just doesn't know the difference between an
error sent from the server and one generated within libpq.

My guess is that there's some extremely wide row(s) in your database.
The client-side libpq has to be able to buffer the widest row during
a COPY, and your client machine doesn't seem to be up to the task...