Re: pg12 release notes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg12 release notes
Date: 2019-05-10 03:45:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> Just a question about the item: "Allow IN comparisons with arrays to
> use IS NOT NULL partial indexes more frequently (Tom Lane)"

> From what I can tell this must refer to 65ce07e0202f.

You can tell for sure by looking into the SGML comments in
release-12.sgml:

<!--
Author: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
2019-02-20 [e04a3905e] Improve planner's understanding of strictness of type co
-->

<para>
Allow IS NOT NULL with mis-matching types to use partial indexes more frequently (Tom Lane)
</para>

> If so, I think James Coleman should be the author.

... and yeah, James should get the credit. But there's more wrong with
the summary than that, because I don't think this was about mismatched
types particularly. The real motivation was to avoid failing to prove
the usability of WHERE-x-IS-NOT-NULL partial indexes for IN clauses with
more than 100 elements.