Stored procedure issue

From: Dragan Zubac <moroncic(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Stored procedure issue
Date: 2007-12-02 02:40:18
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hello

I have a stored procedure which does the billing stuff
in our system,it works ok,but if I put in
production,where there is some 5-10 billing events per
second,the whole database slows down. It won't even
drop some test table,reindex,vacuum,things which were
done before in the blink of an eye. If I stop the
application which calls the procedure,all is back to
normal.

We didn't implement any special locking mechanism in
the procedure,all is default. The procedure is
updating user's balance in table 'users'. On the other
hand a couple of 'heavy load' table has foreign keys
pointing to table 'users'.

Is it the matter of concurency and some locking issue
or maybe the existing of all those foreign keys
pointing to table 'users',or maybe something else
which we're not aware at the moment ?

Sincerely

Pera