Re: Generating code for query jumbling through gen_node_support.pl

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bdrouvot(at)amazon(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Generating code for query jumbling through gen_node_support.pl
Date: 2023-01-26 08:37:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 24.01.23 07:57, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> For the 0004 patch, it should be documented why one would want one behavior
>> or the other. That's totally unclear right now.
> I am not 100% sure whether we should have this part at the end, but as
> an exit path in case somebody complains about the extra load with the
> automated jumbling compared to the hash of the query strings, that can
> be used as a backup. Anyway, attached is what would be a
> clarification.

Ok, the documentation make sense now. I wonder what the performance
impact is. Probably, nobody cares about microoptimizing CREATE TABLE
statements. But BEGIN/COMMIT could matter. However, whatever you do in
between the BEGIN and COMMIT will already be jumbled, so you're already
paying the overhead. Hopefully, jumbling such simple commands will have
no noticeable overhead.

In other words, we should test this and hopefully get rid of the
'string' method.