Re: select view definition from pg_views feature request

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: select view definition from pg_views feature request
Date: 2019-11-05 15:44:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com> writes:
> On 11/5/19 6:43 AM, Michael Shapiro wrote:
>> Can I set search_path='' (ie to a string that does not match any
>> existing schema)? Would that be the proper way to guarantee that the
>> definition for any view will always be fully-qualified?

> [ example ]

If you read the documentation about search_path, you'll find out that
setting it to empty means that only the pg_catalog schema is present
in the effective search path (and maybe your pg_temp schema, if you
have created any temp tables). So system catalog references,
references to built-in functions and operators, and temp table names
will not be qualified. Everything else will be.