Re: Non-default postgresql.conf values to log

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alex Ignatov <a(dot)ignatov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Non-default postgresql.conf values to log
Date: 2016-04-07 17:50:25
Lists: pgsql-general

"David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Admittedly, I'm not sure how you would fix any problems without access to
> the server and its config files - at which point you are back to simply
> reviewing those.

Yeah. Other related problems include being unable to *find* the log file
if you don't know what the server configuration is.

There is already a "postgres -C guc_name" option if you want to find out
from the command line what value a particular GUC is set to by the
cluster's configuration files. I could see some value in a variant of
that that prints all GUCs with non-default sources. But that would go
to stdout in any case. Wanting it to go into a log file sounds to me
a whole lot like wanting to duplicate some Oracle-based DBA habits at a
bug-compatible level.

(Note also that there's already logging of on-the-fly *changes* in
configuration file settings, so I'm not buying the "historical info"
angle at all.)