Re: java.sql.ResultSet.getTime() returns wrong time

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: Lukas Eder <lukas(dot)eder(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: java.sql.ResultSet.getTime() returns wrong time
Date: 2010-09-19 21:43:20
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com> writes:
> Did you see Kris's earlier response here? See
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2010-05/msg00052.php. The
> problem is we need to pass around a timezone offset, but JDBC +
> java.util.Date give us no way to do that without subclassing those types
> (which seems a bit hairy). Without that extra data, timetz just doesn't
> map well to any of the standard Java date/time types.

timetz is a fundamentally brain-dead data type to start with ---
it simply doesn't carry enough information to deal with timezones
meaningfully, at least not once you start considering DST changes.
This is the SQL standard's fault not ours, so there's not a lot
we can do about it other than recommend people avoid timetz.