Re: leaving out paramTypes parameter

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andro <andromede(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: leaving out paramTypes parameter
Date: 2006-08-14 15:23:22
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Andro <andromede(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> they both require "paramTypes" parameter, but documentation says "If
> paramTypes is NULL, or any particular element in the array is zero,
> the server assigns a data type to the parameter symbol in the same way
> it would do for an untyped literal string."

> How reliable is that? Can we really leave out this parameter anytime?

Like it says, you get the same results you would get from writing a
literal string 'foo' where the parameter symbol is. If you like,
you can force the type decision with a cast in the query text, eg

"SELECT ... WHERE x = $1::int8 ... "

In some ways this is better than using paramTypes because you don't
have to mess with numeric OIDs for data types.