Re: Locale C vs Local English, United States

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Locale C vs Local English, United States
Date: 2006-12-14 22:42:25
Lists: pgsql-novice

> > i've done a few pgsql installs and this item never
> > really resonated in my head. i have been
> defaulting
> > to "C" for the locale. Is this right? I see
> there is
> > an option for "English, United States" - this
> would
> > seem to be a more obvious choice given my location
> in
> > the united states.
> >
> > from what I've been able to dig up, it appears the
> > locale may have an impact on different queries.
> > anyway, I'd appreciate some insight so i can learn
> > something and add it to my windows pgsql install
> > tutorial.
>
> You might what search the pg_general list on this
> topic.
>
> What you will find is that each local has different
> rules for sorting. One problem is that other
> locales (other than c) will not produce the same
> sort ordering between various platforms. Also
> FWIRC, I think there may be some unexpected gotchas
> caused by unpredictable sort orders.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Broersma Jr.

Richard, thanks. from what i gather, locale C is a
pretty good default, even if it's name is entirely
cryptic on the surface. i think i'll stick with C for
the time being and, perhaps, research it more a bit
later.

I would be interested in seeing your batch file.
right now, i only develop on windows (backups aren't
that important, however, it would still be a nice
option. my production server is linux. however, that
could change if i ever develop something useful
outside of my current environment.

Want to start your own business?
Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index