Upgrade Backup Issue

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Upgrade Backup Issue
Date: 2006-12-15 00:46:58
Lists: pgsql-novice

Okay, i've gotten far enough that i've taken backups
of my 8.1 db server from both 8.1's and 8.2's
pg_dumpall.

i had to enter my password in about 5 or 6 times,
which i thought was strange, but is probably due to
some fine grained password control that i'm not
familiar with.

anyway, i'm trying to backup the pg_dumpall file into
my 8.2 server. 8.1 is shut down and 8.2's server is
running.

i put in the following command:

C:\>“Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\bin\psql” -d
db_name_here -f 8.2.out

i get the following error:

'"Program is not recognized as an internal or external
command, operable program or bath file.

however, the first time i ran this, i received the
following error:

psql: FATAL password authentication failed for user
[username]

i think they are identical, anyway. maybe i'm missing
something.

as an aside, i'm using pgadmin3 from 8.2 and i no
longer see my 8.1 databases even though 8.1's server
is running.

i think i'm a bit confused on roles and user and such,
too. my username is postgres and i know my password.
do i need to use -U with psql when i'm running
commands? if so, how come my dumpall worked (or so i
think, anyway!) w/o using the -U flag?

also, is it only possible to import one db at a time?
i have 3 different dbs on my development box. do i
just omit the -d flag in order to backup everything
that was pg_dumpalled?

tia...

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
Access over 1 million songs.