Full text search strategy for names

From: Rick Schumeyer <rschumeyer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Full text search strategy for names
Date: 2009-04-17 01:43:13
Lists: pgsql-general

I want to be able to search a list of articles for title words as well as
author names. I understand how to do the title words with the full text
searching. But I'm not sure the best strategy for the names. The full text
parser "parses" the names giving undesirable results.

For example,

select to_tsvector('claude Jones');
to_tsvector
'jone':2 'claud':1

Is there a way to tell the parser to index the words in a column without
trying to determine word roots?

Or what is the best way to index names for efficient searching?