Re: What is happening on buildfarm member baiji?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What is happening on buildfarm member baiji?
Date: 2007-05-14 13:41:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> Stephen Frost wrote:
>> I'm curious as to which Unix systems allow multiple processes to listen
>> on the same port at the same time.. On Linux, and I thought on most,
>> you get an EADDRINUSE on the listen() call (which the postmaster should
>> pick up on and bomb out, which it may already).

> Linux certainly does.

Mmm, you're right, I misread the man page:

Setting the SO_REUSEADDR option allows the local socket address to be
reused in subsequent calls to bind(). This permits multiple
SOCK_STREAM sockets to be bound to the same local address, as long as
all existing sockets with the desired local address are in a connected
state before bind() is called for a new socket.

The bit about "connected state" is relevant here --- a listening socket
isn't connected. Time for more caffeine.

> Windows seems to treat SO_REUSEADDR in the same
> way as SO_REUSEPORT which just seems wrong.

Well, Microsoft getting standards wrong is no surprise. So what do we
want to do about it?