Re: Firewalls and Postgres

From: eric soroos <eric-psql(at)soroos(dot)net>
To: Tony Grant <tony(at)tgds(dot)net>
Cc: postgres list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Firewalls and Postgres
Date: 2003-01-29 21:58:15
Lists: pgsql-general

> I am tunneling through two firewalls to get to the webapp. The webapp is
> on an intranet.
>
> I just wanted to be able to use the webapp by port forwarding instead of
> tunneling an X session (mozilla running locally is a bit faster than on
> the distant machine).
>
> For everything else I use ssh X (pgaccess and psql run just fine that
> way)

What you probably want to do is add an entry in /etc/hosts (or run your own private dns if things get complicate) that maps your webapp machine name to 127.0.0.1, then ssh port forward port 80 to port 80 on that machine (by number). This fools your local browser is fooled into thinking that 127.0.0.1 is the webapp server.

eric