Re: Named Operators

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet(at)singh(dot)im>, Postgres Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Named Operators
Date: 2023-01-12 15:21:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I'm -1 on the chosen syntax; :name: shadows common variable
> substitution patterns including those of psql.

Yeah, this syntax is DOA because of that. I think almost
anything you might invent is going to have conflict risks.

We could probably make it work by allowing the existing OPERATOR
syntax to take things that look like names as well as operators,
like

expr3 OPERATOR(contains_all) expr4

But that's bulky enough that nobody will care to use it.

On the whole I don't see this proposal going anywhere.
There's too much investment in the existing operator names,
and too much risk of conflicts if you try to shorten the
syntax.