Re: problems when comparing text with special chars

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: me(at)alternize(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problems when comparing text with special chars
Date: 2005-09-04 23:33:16
Lists: pgsql-novice

<me(at)alternize(dot)com> writes:
> the installer (yes, its the v8.0.3 windows version) had me choose the
> following db encoding, which also matches the server's win2k3 environement.
> this seems right to me:
> LC_COLLATE: German_Switzerland.1252
> LC_CTYPE: German_Switzerland.1252

OK ...

> the DB was created with the characterset UNICODE to have full support for
> foreign characters (i.e. japanese and stuff).

Wrong answer --- the name of the locale implies that it wants Win1252
encoding. In general you don't get to choose locale and encoding
independently.

Our Unicode support is pretty broken under Windows anyway in 8.0
(8.1 should be better). You want to stick with that locale and use
the corresponding encoding rather than trying to switch to a Unicode
locale.