Re: Sequence Access Method WIP

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sequence Access Method WIP
Date: 2016-01-29 16:03:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> On 29 January 2016 at 14:48, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Uh, what? Surely we would provide a bespoke command for each possible
> sort of handler. As an example, CREATE INDEX ACCESS METHOD ought to check
> that the provided function has the right signature, and then it would put
> the correct amkind into the pg_am entry automatically.

> I'm thinking we'd do CREATE ACCESS METHOD foobar TYPE INDEX or something
> like that.

That seems okay. I had the impression you were proposing
CREATE ACCESS METHOD foobar TYPE 'i' USING functionname
or something like that, where it would be totally up to the user that
the amkind matched the function. That seems unnecessarily error-prone,
not to mention that it would close the door forever on any hope that
we might allow non-superusers to execute such commands.