Re: Ignoring some binaries generated in src/test

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Ignoring some binaries generated in src/test
Date: 2015-04-24 19:34:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> A couple of binaries in src/test, that are not part of the main make
> flow, can be built but they are actually not ignored in the tree:
> examples/testlibpq
> examples/testlibpq2
> examples/testlibpq3
> examples/testlibpq4
> examples/testlo
> examples/testlo64
> locale/test-ctype
> thread/thread_test
> I recall that some of them were target for removal, still shouldn't
> they have their own entries in a .gitignore, like in the patch
> attached?

Perhaps, but if we're going to support doing a make in those
subdirectories, I think it would also be appropriate to fix
src/test/Makefile so that "clean" and related targets recurse to
those subdirectories.

The current logic in src/test/Makefile, particularly the way that
the modules subdirectory is handled, seems pretty ugly/convoluted
anyway. I wonder why it was done that way rather than just ensuring
that modules/ doesn't do anything for "make install"?

We'd still need special cases for examples/ et al because we don't want
them built during "make all", but I think just adding them to
ALWAYS_SUBDIRS might suffice.