Re: [GSoC] application ideas

From: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: pantilimonov misha <pantlimon(at)yandex(dot)ru>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GSoC] application ideas
Date: 2019-04-05 05:14:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

We are discussing GSoC details offlist, but I'll put some recommendations on your proposal to the list.

> 3 апр. 2019 г., в 2:53, pantilimonov misha <pantlimon(at)yandex(dot)ru> написал(а):
>
> Andrey, thank you for your reply.
>
>> 24.03.2019, 12:12, "Andrey Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>:
>>
>> I like the idea of more efficient BufferTag->Page data structure. I'm not sure cache locality is a real problem there, but I believe this idea deserves giving it a shot.
>> I'd happily review your proposal and co-mentor project, if it will be chosen for GSoC.
>
> Here it is:
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HmhOs07zE8Q1TX1pOdtjxHSjjAUjaO2tp9NSmry8muY/edit?usp=sharing

While your project is clearly research-oriented, it is planned within PostgreSQL development process. Can you please add some information about which patches are your going to put on commitfest?
Also, please plan to review one or more patches. This is important for integrating into community.

BTW, there is somewhat related IntegerSet data structure added recently [0]. In my version it was implemented as radix tree. I think it is a good example how generic data structure can be presented and then reused by BufferManager.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

[0] https://github.com/postgres/postgres/commit/df816f6ad532ad685a3897869a2e64d3a53fe312