Re: Where to Host Project

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Where to Host Project
Date: 2008-09-22 17:13:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sep 22, 2008, at 10:08, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

>>> The machine is ready to go and as far as I know even has a jail.
>>> Stefan
>>> would know more.
>> OK, cool. Stefan; what's your take on where we're at?
>
> yeah there is a box and a jail I set up a while ago but for various
> reasons the actual migration (planning and testing) never happened.
> I'm still prepared to handle the required sysadmin level work but I
> don't have time for anything more fancy right now.

If this upgrade happens, and I can use SVN with pgFoundry, that's
exactly where I'll stay. That would make me happy.

Whether or not it was a good idea to get into the hosting business,
since we do, as a community, have a hosting platform, it behooves us
to try to keep it up-to-date. I'd be willing to give a bit of time for
this.

But I do agree with Robert that we *should* get into the indexing
business. This is CPAN's secret: It doesn't host anything, but
provides a distributed index of Perl modules. What would be useful is
to make it easy for people to add their stuff to the index; and if
that could be automated with pgFoundry, so much the better for those
who host there.

My $0.02. Thanks for the discussion, folks.

Best,

David