Re: Barman disaster recovery solution

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Barman disaster recovery solution
Date: 2019-02-27 14:16:43
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2/27/19 2:31 PM, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> On 27/2/19 1:58 μ.μ., richter(at)simkorp(dot)com(dot)br wrote:
>> Just to notice, I d o use backup from standby and WAL archive from
>> standby. It is possible. But you have to configure standby with option
>> of wal archive "always".
>
> I guess there are issues with it. If this was so easy then pgbarman and
> pgbackrest would support it out of the box.

There are a few issues with it:

1) If you allow the primary and standby to archive to the same
repository then there needs to be some conflict resolution if they write
at the same time. If they write to different repositories then you need
to decided which one to use for a restore, or have some kind of conflict
resolution between them. It gets complicated.

2) Writing only from the standby reduces load on the primary but if the
connection to the primary is down then you can get behind on archiving.
If something then happens to the primary then your recovery point will
be limited.

Regards,
--
-David