MD5 question?

From: Çağıl Şeker <cagils(at)biznet(dot)com(dot)tr>
To: "PostgreSQL-General-List (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: MD5 question?
Date: 2002-12-09 09:48:29
Lists: pgsql-general

hi,

I am a little confused on how md5 passwd hashes stored and used in PG. There was a discussion on this issue but it was more confusing for me. When I create a new user its passwd is stored as md5 hashes (I don't know if it related to hba_conf md5 line, is it??). My hba_conf requires md5 for all connections. And I can connect. Then I change a user's passwd by UPDATE pg_shadow set passwd blablabla SQL command to for example 'qwerty' without md5 hashing. Then I see the passwd in pg_shadow as clear text not md5. But I can still connect by using qwerty and md5 connection. Here I am confused. When I use update ... is it stored as clear-text. If so, when I connect it with md5, is on the wire still md5. If so how PG tells clear-text from md5 on the server side?

Cagil SEKER (Çağıl ŞEKER)
"Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of outsmarting you. Something that you'll never forgive me for!" - The Mentor'86 (Hacker's Manifesto)