static assert cleanup

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: static assert cleanup
Date: 2022-12-09 07:46:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

A number of static assertions could be moved to better places.

We first added StaticAssertStmt() in 2012, which required all static
assertions to be inside function bodies. We then added
StaticAssertDecl() in 2020, which enabled static assertions on file
level. We have a number of calls that were stuck in not-really-related
functions for this historical reason. This patch set cleans that up.

0001-Update-static-assert-usage-comment.patch

This updates the usage information in c.h to be more current and precise.

0002-Move-array-size-related-static-assertions.patch

This moves some obviously poorly placed ones.

0003-Move-some-static-assertions-to-better-places.patch

This moves some that I thought were suboptimally placed but it could be
debated or refined.

0004-Use-StaticAssertDecl-where-possible.patch

This just changes some StaticAssertStmt() to StaticAssertDecl() where
appropriate. It's optional.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Update-static-assert-usage-comment.patch text/plain 4.2 KB
0002-Move-array-size-related-static-assertions.patch text/plain 4.1 KB
0003-Move-some-static-assertions-to-better-places.patch text/plain 10.4 KB
0004-Use-StaticAssertDecl-where-possible.patch text/plain 9.9 KB