Re: Use of backup_label not noted in log

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: Use of backup_label not noted in log
Date: 2024-01-25 12:56:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/25/24 04:12, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 04:36:27PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> + if (ControlFile->backupStartPoint != InvalidXLogRecPtr)
>>
>> Nit 1: I would use XLogRecPtrIsInvalid here.
>>
>> + ereport(LOG,
>> + (errmsg("completed backup recovery with redo LSN %X/%X",
>> + LSN_FORMAT_ARGS(oldBackupStartPoint))));
>>
>> Nit 2: How about adding backupEndPoint in this LOG? That would give:
>> "completed backup recovery with redo LSN %X/%X and end LSN %X/%X".
>
> Hearing nothing, I've just applied a version of the patch with these
> two modifications on HEAD. If this needs tweaks, just let me know.

I had planned to update the patch this morning -- so thanks for doing
that. I think having the end point in the message makes perfect sense.

I would still advocate for a back patch here. It is frustrating to get
logs from users that just say:

LOG: invalid checkpoint record
PANIC: could not locate a valid checkpoint record

It would be very helpful to know what the checkpoint record LSN was in
this case.

Regards,
-David