Re: Frontend error logging style

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Frontend error logging style
Date: 2022-02-23 03:44:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> What about adding a pg_fatal() that's pg_log_fatal() + exit()? That keeps
> pg_log_* stuff "log only", but adds something adjacent enough to hopefully
> reduce future misunderstandings?

I'd be okay with that, except that pg_upgrade already has a pg_fatal
(because it has its *own* logging system, just in case you thought
this wasn't enough of a mess yet). I'm in favor of aligning
pg_upgrade's logging with the rest, but I'd hoped to leave that for
later. Making the names collide would be bad even as a short-term
thing, I fear.

Looks like libpq_pipeline.c has its own pg_fatal, too.

I'm not against choosing some name other than pg_log_fatal, but that
particular suggestion has got conflicts. Got any other ideas?