Re: Setting pd_lower in GIN metapage

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Setting pd_lower in GIN metapage
Date: 2017-09-07 01:42:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2017/09/07 8:51, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 5:49 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>
>> I looked briefly at these patches. I'm not sure that it's safe for the
>> mask functions to assume that meta pages always have valid pd_lower.
>> What happens when replaying log data concerning an old index that doesn't
>> have that field filled?
>
> There will be inconsistency between the pages, and the masking check
> will complain. My point here is that wal_consistency_checking is
> primarily used by developers on newly-deployed clusters to check WAL
> consistency by using installcheck. So an upgraded cluster would see
> diffs because of that, but I would think that nobody would really face
> them.

I too tend to think that any users who use this masking facility would
know to expect to get these failures on upgraded clusters with invalid
pd_lower in meta pages.

(PS: I wonder if it is reasonable to allow configuring the error level
used when a masking failure occurs? Currently, checkXLogConsistency()
will abort the process (FATAL))

> Perhaps we should document this point for wal_consistency_check?

Do you mean permanently under wal_consistency_check parameter
documentation or in the release notes under incompatibilities for the
affected index types?

Thanks,
Amit