Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display

From: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display
Date: 2021-11-15 22:36:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/14/21, 4:18 AM, "Bharath Rupireddy" <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Thanks. Attaching the v2 to avoid that by directly using the message
> in ereport instead of activitymsg.

+ ereport(DEBUG1,
+ (errmsg_internal("waiting for %s", xlogfname)));

As a general comment, I think we should include more detail than what
goes in the ps title. While we probably want to keep the ps title,
brief, I don't see any issue with including a bit more context in
debug statements.

+ ereport(DEBUG1,
+ (errmsg_internal("executing archive command \"%s\" for archving %s",
+ xlogarchcmd, xlog)));

I wonder if it's necessary to include the "for archiving" part in this
one. Typically, the xlogarchcmd will include it somewhere.

Nathan