What's faster

From: Eric Brown <eric(dot)brown(at)propel(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: What's faster
Date: 2004-12-11 02:15:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Option 1:
create table a (id serial, hosts text[]);

OR

Option 2:
create table a (id serial);
create table hosts (id int references a, host text);

Table 'a' will have about 500,000 records. There will probably be about
20 reads for every write. Each id has approximately 1.1 hosts. If I use
the array (option 1), I'll have to loop over the elements of the array
to see if I have a match when querying a given id. This isn't hard, but
it means that SELECT will always return 1 record when, in option 2, it
might return 0 records and only have accessed the indexes.

Given the indexes that will be built and disk pages used (cached or
otherwise), which mechanism would be faster for searching.