Re: Trying to build pgadmin

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Ilan Volow <listboy(at)clarux(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trying to build pgadmin
Date: 2010-03-09 17:22:28
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Ilan Volow <listboy(at)clarux(dot)com> wrote:
> I recently decided to look into the possibility of doing some hacking on
> pgadmin to add some features/fixes that I've wanted.  I'm trying to build
> pgadmin on OS X (10.6 Snow Leopard) using the EnterpriseDB Postgres Plus
> distribution and the latest svn checkout. I followed the instructions for OS
> X to the tee, I set the PG_HOME variable to /Library/PostgresPlus/8.3, but I
> still got configure errors complaining about the postgresql directory not
> being present. I even tried passing in the --with-pgsql=DIR parameter, but
> it didn't make any difference. I'm stumped, because far as I know, I have
> all of the necessary libraries to build pgadmin with the stock install of
> snow leopard and the enterprise db install. I suppose I could download all
> the complete source trees for WxMac, Postgresql, libxml, etc, but I'm trying
> to take the easiest route first.

I have a sneaking recollection that PostgresPlus 8.3 on Mac didn't
support being used for building extensions or third party apps due to
the way the library paths were configured. What's the output from:

otool -L /Library/PostgresPlus/8.3/lib/libpq.5.dylib

FYI, the PostgreSQL 8.3, 8.4 and Postgres Plus 8.4 installers we
produce should all work fine. It's just the older Postgres Plus that
used very different technology.

--
Dave Page
PG East Conference: http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do