Re: PostgreSQL moderation report: 2010-1-25

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL - WWW ML <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL moderation report: 2010-1-25
Date: 2010-01-27 09:15:39
Lists: pgsql-www

2010/1/27 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>:
> On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 13:00 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
>> > Are they still around to moderate?
>>
>> Apparently not :-(.
>
> Well, if you did not add everyone who volunteered to be a moderator, we
> could manage moderation tasks easily. When I see something submitted
> new, I think "Ok, we have tons of moderators now. Let me leave it to
> them". Apparently everyone thinks the same, based on the result.

So you're suggesting the correct fix is to *not* add more moderators?

The reason we've been adding new ones is because the old ones stop
doing the work. I don't see how we can fix that without adding
replacements.

> Do you remember when *you* last moderated an item? Magnus?

Yes. Last week. I moderate/manage the mirrors section which I've done
consistently for probably 10 years now.

I *really* hope you're not trying to suggest I don't do my bit?

> (I think it was 2001 when I joined www team, probably same year with
> you. I remember how we managed all these stuff since then.) I think we
> should keep the moderator list as small as possible: You, me, Josh,
> Robert and Magnus. Even this may be much thinking about the amount of
> item we  are talking about. We are talking about 5 min/day. Why do we
> have 10+ people for that?

Because people keep *not* moderating things, so we add new volunteers
who help out for a while and then stop as well and the cycle repeats.
In my case I moderate a bunch of mailing lists every day, as well as
looking after the mirrors and doing occasional purges of the other
stuff, and really would rather not be doing that for another 10 years
because we're the only people doing the job.

--
Dave Page