Re: Ticket 119: handling opclass in dlgIndex

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Ticket 119: handling opclass in dlgIndex
Date: 2009-12-23 19:04:13
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:

> I don't really know what the english standard way of casing words is. I
> know that, in French, you're supposed to put the first character of a
> string in uppercase. In English, I suppose I need to put the first
> character of each word in uppercase. So, I think we need to upper case
> the n in "Column name" (ie, "Column Name"). Can you confirm?

Sorry - I meant to explain more but was multi-tasking and messed up :-(

In grammatically correct English, only the first word of a sentence
should be capitalised, but looking at other software like XCode and
Firefox, it seems it's not that simple. In fact, as I'm trying to
write this, I'm struggling to see a pattern in either of those apps -
for example, in XCode's preferences pane I see options like:

Automatically Suggest
Suggestion delay
Default File Encoding
Tab indents

So, I think we should use English rules, and only capitalise the first
word, *except* for following words which have special meaning because
they are SQL keywords for example, or acronyms.

> Will do. Should it be in another patch?

Probably better, if only to keep the commit logs focused on one change.

> Or we have to tell them we need to drop and create their index when they
> click the OK button, perhaps giving them the choice to do it
> concurrently. I wonder if there are other objects that would need that
> treatment.

I can't say I'm that excited about that. It's probably safer for them
to create the new index manually and then drop the old. I suppose we
could create, drop, rename, but there's still something about the idea
that gives me the heebie-jeebies.

--
Dave Page