Re: BUG #5250: Tutorial examples(pre-compiled) not present with precompiled binary version of PostgreSQL.

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Ashish Anand <Ashish(dot)The(dot)Dev(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5250: Tutorial examples(pre-compiled) not present with precompiled binary version of PostgreSQL.
Date: 2009-12-22 20:58:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Ashish Anand <Ashish(dot)The(dot)Dev(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Alvaro, Please read the first three mails in this thread.
>
> Dave, can you open a bug at your end. Just open it so that it can be tracked
> two months down the line. I am not insisting on fixing it right now.

There is nothing to fix at 'my end' at the moment (whichever end you
consider that to be). As has been established in the later messages in
the thread, the tutorial isn't built at all by the PostgreSQL MSVC
build system, and on other platforms the installation location is
fixed. As Tom as pointed out, we first need to determine we want it to
work, and then apply the appropriate fix to PostgreSQL. Only then will
the downstream packages make any changes, should they be required.

My vote is to reword the docs so they don't say that binary distros
will include the pre-built tutorial binaries, and then we can consider
shipping the source files in the installers/rpms etc.

--
Dave Page