Re: pgAdmin3 icon

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Jean-Michel Pouré <jmpoure(at)free(dot)fr>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin3 icon
Date: 2009-12-14 16:25:53
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

2009/12/14 Jean-Michel Pouré <jmpoure(at)free(dot)fr>:
> Sorry for not following the thread this week-end. I was away and now I
> am a little sick, so I have more time!
>>
>> As discussed, it doesn't scale down to 16x16 without becoming a mess,
>> so I presented the alternative as a simplification which does.
>
> Look at my screenshot:
> http://www.poure.com/images/capture.png
>
> The simplified logo does not scale down to 16x16 nor 32x32.

It does if done properly, which your file browser doesn't seem to be
doing. See the attached image, which shows the various Mac versions.

>> If you can come up with something better that does scale down, I'm
>> happy to look at it. As it happens, I've just seen that the new one
>> goes fuzzy when displayed on an XP style application bar, so it'll
>> have to be changed again anyway.
>
> It seems to me that Guillaume proposal scales pretty well to 16x16 and
> 32x32. I uploaded Guillaume's PNG icons there:
> http://www.poure.com/images/
>
> If you believe that the 16x16 icon does not scale well, why not
> concentrate only on this icon.

I'm not a good enough artist to fix something so small, except by
starting with something more simple at a larger size and then scaling
it down.

BTW, the second screenshot attached shows Guillaumes version of the
original 16x16 next to the simplified one.

> The other icons are (in my opinion) really superb. Just like pgAdmin3
> programming!
>
>> Are you at least happy that the SQL icon is an improvement over the
>> previous nasty blue one?
>
> Yes.

Cool. I just committed new versions of the XPMs with a little
transparency added to make them softer in line with the other toolbar
buttons.

--
Dave Page

Attachment Content-Type Size
Screen shot 2009-12-14 at 16.20.21.png image/png 180.5 KB
image/png 9.3 KB