Re: pgAdmin3 MySQL to PostgreSQL converter?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Jean-Michel Pouré <jmpoure(at)free(dot)fr>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin3 MySQL to PostgreSQL converter?
Date: 2009-12-08 08:44:40
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

2009/12/8 Jean-Michel Pouré <jmpoure(at)free(dot)fr>:

> So my question is: do you plan to add a MySQL converted in pgAdmin3.

No, not at present

> This would be a great killer feature and probably requires much work ...

Yes, it certainly would. Remember the Access Migration tool in pgAdmin
I? It was the only part that I didn't rewrite for pgAdmin II because
it was too much work.

The other issue, is that as soon as we've done MySQL, there will be
another email say 'but what about $OTHER_DBMS?'

There are probably also licensing issues, with the MySQL connectors
all being GPL...

So, I think such a feature would need a strong, ongoing commitment
from a developer who is interested in such tools, once the licencing
issues are overcome.

BTW; did you try the MySQL migration wizard available through
StackBuilder (which comes with the one-click installers)? Were there
problems with that?

--
Dave Page