Re: Re: BUG #5065: pg_ctl start fails as administrator, with "could not locate matching postgres executable"

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Jesse Morris <jmorris(at)coverity(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Re: BUG #5065: pg_ctl start fails as administrator, with "could not locate matching postgres executable"
Date: 2009-10-20 15:07:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> writes:
>> The patch doesn't change what the code aims to do, only the way it
>> does it. The existing code does this:
>> The net result /should/ be the same, but the second method is
>> apparently a little more robust.
>
> Do we have any idea why?  I am always distrustful of random changes made
> with no theory as to why they fix a problem.  My experience is that such
> changes are almost always wrong, once you find out what the problem
> *really* is.

Honestly? No. I have a vague hand-wavy idea about there being
something preventing us properly modifying the token of an existing
process in some configurations, but nothing even remotely jello-like,
let alone concrete.

On the other hand, I don't see any obvious way for this to cause a
regression - which was born out by my (limited) testing in which the
original problem remained fixed with the new patch. I'd certainly feel
happier if Magnus took a look as well though.

--
Dave Page
PGDay.EU 2009 Conference: http://2009.pgday.eu/start