Re: Vote on Windows installer links

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date: 2009-07-09 15:44:08
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Simon Riggs<simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> There was an installer and it was quietly discontinued. If EDB stepped
> up, many people were unaware of it. Most people thought that Dave was
> working on the installers on behalf of the project, as he used to do,
> and were unaware that advertising deals had been agreed to as conditions
> of further work.

Please make sure your facts are correct before accusing me of
anything. There have been *no* advertising deals agreed.

* There was a need for multi-platform installers identified.

* EnterpriseDB decided to fulfill that need for the community and
produced some installers.

* After some discussion on mailing lists and in person at pgCon last
year, it was decided they should be hosted by EnterpriseDB and linked
from the postgresql.org website, based on comments made by various
community members.

* I personally decided I was not going to maintain the MSI installer
for 8.4, after discussion with a bunch of people. It took a
significant amount of my personal time and was extremely hard to debug
if it went wrong.

If you do not like the installers that we now provide the community,
you're welcome to take the code and make a long term commitment to the
community to build and maintain releases yourself as you see fit.

--
Dave Page