Re: BUG #4785: Installation fails

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Krimstock, Roger I (Roger)" <rik(at)avaya(dot)com>, Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #4785: Installation fails
Date: 2009-05-07 08:30:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

[Please keep the list CC'd]

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 3:14 AM, Krimstock, Roger I (Roger)
<rik(at)avaya(dot)com> wrote:

> The command that seems to be failing appears to be:
>
> echo y|cacls "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\data" /T /G "<username>":F
>
> where <username> is your current username as returned by a scripting object. Can you try running the command in a command prompt please, and see if it works interactively (using your username)?

OK, so the basic question is, why can't you set permissions on that
directory? The installer obviously thinks you have some admin
privileges, otherwise it would have aborted at startup. Can you answer
the following please and we can try to figure out the issue?

- Is your computer on a domain?
- Is your user account a domain or local account?
- Are you a local administrator, domain administrator or member of the
power users group (or anything similar?)
- Do you have permissions to write to each directory in the path
C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\data ?
- Is this an NTFS filesystem?

--
Dave Page