Re: 8.4 open items list

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.4 open items list
Date: 2009-03-28 18:33:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> Both of those things are related to 8.4 feature changes, so we should
>>> either do them now or decide we won't do them.
>
>> Well, "Should we have a LOCALE option in CREATE DATABASE?" has to do
>> with making:
>
>> CREATE DATABASE foo WITH LOCALE = bar
>> equivalent to...
>> CREATE DATABASE foo WITH COLLATE = bar, CTYPE = bar
>
>> That might be nice to have, but since it's just syntactic sugar, I
>> disagree that it's now or never.
>
> The reason I wanted it considered now is that part of the discussion
> was about whether to rename the existing options (add or remove LC_,
> I forget which).  Once 8.4 is out it'll be too late to reconsider that.

Please bear in mind that whilst these features have been going into
Postgres over the last 12 months, other people have been busy adding
support for them in tools and interfaces etc. so changing anything
even before we go to beta should not be done on a whim. This is even
worse than might be immediately apparent because we generally need to
get our code stable *before* PostgreSQL is released to ensure that
tools and interfaces are definitely ready in time - for example,
pgAdmin is already in it's second beta.

--
Dave Page