Re: Issues with v1.10 beta 1

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Kieran McCusker <kieran(dot)mccusker(at)kwest(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org, Mickael Deloison <mdeloison(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Issues with v1.10 beta 1
Date: 2009-03-25 19:24:24
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Kieran McCusker
<kieran(dot)mccusker(at)kwest(dot)info> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been using beta 1 for a few days now. It's looking good but could I
> mention the following items:
>
> Query tool Ctrl-E
> Selecting the Query tool opens with the contents of the SQL pane which it
> didn't in 1.8.4. I think this behaviour is fine except when you go to open
> the query file you actually want to work on. You now get the dialog "the
> text has changed. Do you want to save changes?" which of course it hasn't.

That's always been optional behaviour - see the 'Copy SQL from main
form...' option.

> Block indenting logic has changed
> I have tabs set to spaces and indent set to 2. If I have a block where the
> first line(s) are indented by one more space than the final line it is not
> possible to get the block to align using keyboard. Also in 1.8.4 the line
> the cursor was on was excluded from block indent whereas it is now included
> which makes it a bit more awkward to use.

Block indenting never used to exist afaict - we occasionally pickup
new features in the text control and it seems they added block
indent/outdent at the same time I did. I'll test and see if the
control's behaviour meets our requirements and remove our code if so.

> Execute pgScript.
> Took me little while to figure out how to use this - probably me being dumb!
> When I first added the pgScript and pressed F5 it took me a while to
> understand why it didn't work. When I figured out it was F6 all was well
> except that my final query results didn't appear in the output pane.
> Would it be possible for the results of the last query to be sent to the
> output pane?

Not sure if this is feasible or not - Mickael? It won't be in 1.10 anyway.

> I also wondered about F5 giving a clearer message if pgScript was detected?

I'm not sure if that's feasible either, because the Query Builder has
to work with any procedural language the user may want to use in
Postgres, Postgres Plus AS or Greenplum. Some of them will also look
very similar to pgScript.

> Many thanks for a great product.

You're welcome - thanks for the feedback.

--
Dave Page