Re: pgAdmin v1.10.0 Beta 1

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: a(dot)maclean(at)cas(dot)edu(dot)au
Cc: Pgadmin-Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin v1.10.0 Beta 1
Date: 2009-03-19 08:43:36
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 2:52 AM, Andrew Maclean
<andrew(dot)amaclean(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Two things:
> 1) Has the mixed slashes on the certificate file been fixed?

Thats a bug in PostgreSQL's libpq library, not pgAdmin. A fix is being
discussed though.

> 2) With respect to the error: "Error connecting to server: root
> certificate file." This was not present in earlier versions of
> pgAdminIII, notably 8.3. is this a feature of the new program and if
> so are there instructions on how to fix this in windows/linux? I have
> only tried windows not linux. By the way this error is not present for
> a localhost connection.

The error occurs because by default, libpq now tries to verify the SSL
certificate presented by the server against a root certificate on the
local machine. This is what you probably want of course (because you
want to verify that the server is actually one you trust, and you're
not getting caught in a man in the middle hack). Because we realised
some people may not want to distribute root certificates immediately
however, an 'SSL Verify' option has been added to the server dialog so
you can specify the behaviour you want.

> Overall it is very nice, the SQL Graphical Query builder looks
> intuitive and easy to use.

Thanks - kudos to Luis Ochoa for that feature!

--
Dave Page